Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Lost Mom on Mother's Day Weekend

I know, it is a few months past being Mother's Day - but I need to share what happened the weekend of May 6 - 8.

Though I already shared about going to the MoMA, Modern Museum of Art, I wanted to share this  video when I was up on the 6th floor. Funny that my grandson, Jaren, would ask me two days later about how tall were the buildings. From this high vantage point it was quite the sight, from the MoMA's gardens to the tops of the skyscrapers. I wish there was someway to see how magnificent these buildings really are.


Pictures from the ground up and some cool looking buildings that I did not capture in my video.



Earlier that day I had spent all morning getting invitations printed for the UN Ambassadors Picnic that I was working on. I came back to the office to find a box filled with some beautiful flowers from my children. I thought how thoughtful of them to send them to the office - now I could enjoy them each day at work.


I told Von what the kids had done and he sounded a little put out and asked about the flowers he had sent, which should have been delivered on Thursday! So Saturday morning I did a little investigation and found them safe and sound in the mail room - waiting for me to pick them up!
It was wonderful to have flowers welcoming me in the morning, greeting me at work and loving me at night. I am so blessed.


However, on Saturday morning, I was looking forward to sleeping in. Not so! At 7 am, I got a call from my BYU Intern friends asking if I wanted to see Catch Me If You Can musical. They wanted me to meet them at the ticket office. Unfortunately I wasn't ready till 9 am to head on down to Times Square. They called me to say they would pick a ticket up for me. The little stinks! I lost two hours of beauty sleep - thank you! I did go that night and had a great time. I am always mesmerized by the scenery and how it all works. In my third career, I am going to be a scenery and set designer!


Sunday was church and lunch with my cousin Julia. I was so glad she invited me over that day - to be with family. She has lived in NYC since retiring from teaching college, theater literature in Nebraska. What a delightful woman she is! Though we grew up in different households and never really associated with each other - I know we are related because we have this desire and wonder about people, life and learning. It was fun to visit her in her home, to hear stories about her life and the treasures that are displayed in her home. Julia was so good to me while in NYC. Though we only got to spend a little time together - she fed me generously with food, conversation and a continued love of family. Thank you, Julia, for your kindness and hospitality and making this lost "mom" on mother's day feel loved.



No comments:

Post a Comment