Monday, July 4, 2011

Sax on the Streets

Many years ago, during high school, I fell in love with the jazz band. Especially the saxophone. I love the deep tones of this instrument. It stirs something within me. So, when I first heard someone playing the sax on the street of NYC, it stopped me in my tracks. I had to listen. It got better after that, because I heard them playing in all sorts of places in NYC. They were in Times Square, random street corners, in the trains, at the entrances to the train stations, and the best - in the train (subway) stations, underground where the acoustics were terrific. In fact, many nights you would find 2-4 piece bands playing down in the stations - just one of the many sounds of New York. 




And then you have the singers that come on the trains.
At each stop they go to the next car, with their cups or bags of gold, collecting money for the talent they are sharing.


Here is one 2-piece band playing Amazing Grace.



Thank you New York for bringing me the joy of music.

1 comment:

  1. Ann, this was amazing! You are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete