Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Canal Street with NO Water.

Since my purse broke, I needed to purchase a purse - that was cheaper than the $200+ beauties that I kept seeing in the windows of NYC. I had been told that there were vendors on the streets of NYC that sold purses, and later told I needed to go to Canal Street. So after a session at the Manhatten Temple Saturday morning, four of us made the trip to Canal Street. The mission - find a purse for Ann.

These little beauties greeted us as we got off the train. White Fiats with a tree growing out of them. 



After visiting about four stores - they all began to look the same with the same products. Reminded me a lot of Mexico border shopping. Only this time the vendors and street hawkers were made up of different ethnic backgrounds. Some other interns made a trip to Canal Street as well. They succumbed to the enticing "whisperers" on the street. They would come up to you and say "Louis Vitton, Chanel, Couch. Come with me." And they did. Three young single women. They followed this strange whisperer across the street and down an alley. The whisperer was cautiously watching to make sure no one was following them. He then pointed for these young ladies to go down the stairs and to knock on the door, which they did. Another man opened the door and looked to see if anyone was following them, and then ushered them inside the door and locked it. One of the girls told me at that point they may have made a mistake. Then they were taken down a hallway to another door which they entered and went inside a dark room. Again, the door was locked. At that point the lights went on to reveal a room full of Louis Vitton, Chanel, Couch and many other designer labeled knock-off purses. My friends got a great deal on some knock-off products. Would they do it again, I think so!!!


Again - lots of PEOPLE! Packed and jostling each other to move forward, backward to wherever they were going. I found a purse. Been to Mexico, and now been to Canal street - time to go. But wait - the east side of Canal Street began to change to China Town. OK, been to San Francisco China Town, now NYC China Town - time to go. But wait - they had MORE restaurants and they even had a Chinese Bakery?


My friends decided to try these yummy looking treats. Not quite what they expected. And that is what NYC is about - NEW Experiences - right?

And just as we were to leave Canal Street - I saw this vendor's store front. Notice the young man. His father was bargaining for a fashionable accessory piece for his son!


The Sign says "Keep Your Pants Up. Help stop cracks. It's the law."

1 comment:

  1. Corey bought me a "Prada" purse that way. Keep having fun.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete