Monday, May 9, 2011

My House

This is my house while living in NYC, the International House. 
I went to Europe many years ago. Our High School marching band was invited to an international marching band competition. While in Vienna, Austria, our housing accommodation was a university building that was made into a dormitory for over 400 of the students.
It was European, historic and old. 


The architecture of I-House reminds me a lot of Europe and what I saw there. 
But what most impresses me most are the international students that reside here. 
While in Vienna, many of the students were international as well,
it was an enjoyable experience getting to know them.
I still have the little red boot that one of the Czech students gave me, 
it was a token of what their area was known for - boots and shoes. 

Sunday night, the I-House had a special dinner called Sunday Supper. 
It is a tradition that has been in place since 1924. The founder of I-House noticed that many of the international students were lonely so he invited them over for Sunday supper. Apparently this tradition continued for many years. Now the tradition happens at the end of the semester along with the candle ceremony. 
After the dinner and entertainment  are finished, there is a person who lights his candle, and in turn, passes the flame to everyone at the table. There were over 200 guests at the dinner.
It was impressive.
It was a reminder that those at I-House, though from many different nationalities, could live in harmony with one another. I thought that was pretty significant.
The I-House borders the Hudson River to the west, Harlem to the north, the 'projects' to the east and Columbia University to the south.
This week I hope to get to know the area around where I live better. Grant's tomb is directly across from where I live, and the world''s largest Gothic cathedral is directly south of me.

This is my room. which is much bigger than the other students have.
You will notice some color! I decided to bring along a little home with me - a quilt that I made.


 I also have a bouquet of flowers that my husband sent me for Mother's Day. I will post a picture of the beautiful flowers in another post. But is does liven it up a bit - don't you think?



1 comment: