Sunday, May 29, 2011

My Neighborhood

I wrote about where I live, now I will show you some sites around my neighborhood. To the east of me is the Grant Projects. Silly me - I thought there was only one. Come to find out there are many around New York, especially in the Harlem area. It is considered City Assisted Housing. I was told that if you look at a Google Earth map, you can identify the buildings because they are built in a certain formation. I also was told there weren't any south of Harlem area, but I found one down in the Chelsea district yesterday.


To the south of me is Sakura Park, it technically is on the same block. I took a nap on the park bench today.
You still hear the noise of the city, but it was a bit diffused.
It is warm today, and there was a 
nice breeze coming up from the Hudson River.



And just south of the park is Riverside Church.



It is HUGE! It takes up a whole block, and is considered the largest church in the U.S.A. It is Gothic construction - and my pictures do not do it justice. I have to go back on another day and take pictures of the chapel - still haven't seen that. A few Sundays ago, when I was returning from church, there were lots of the African-American's walking from somewhere, dressed in very fine Sunday attire. At that time I didn't know where they were walking from - but it was Riverside Church. I am going to go to their services - but I only have three Sundays left to make it there!






This is a view of the inside of the hallway! Sorry it is blurry!
It is a beautiful building - lots of stone and lots of wood.

I took a video while I was standing in front of it.


This building is right across the street.
It is some other church!




To the west is Grant's Tomb and the Hudson River. 
It is a very impressive mausoleum and memorial to a great general and statesman. History says that before he died he requested to be buried in New York, not Washington D.C. The funeral procession took over five hours with a million people coming to pay their respects.
The insides of the mausoleum reminds me of Napoleon's tomb.All in marble, no decorations. It is quiet and reverent.


Pres. Grant and his wife Julia, are laid to rest in 
red granite coffins in the middle of the circular room.
Because of the lighting, you don't see Pres. Grant's name inscribed on the coffin.



There are niches in the wall surrounding the coffins which contain busts of Grant's generals during the Civil War.
 




 This is the walkway to Grant's tomb.




  Around the perimeter of the Mausoleum they have these mosaic tiled benches. Doesn't quite fit into the landscape!


 And walking across the street, you have views like this.
New Jersey is on the other shore. 


To the north - it is How I Travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment